All you need is one minute to get healthier, connect with others, and ratchet up your emotional wellbeing. Here are some one minute fixes for all aspects of your life.
- When you first get to work. Instead of logging on to your email or getting stressed about the size of your workload – spend 60 seconds checking out a funny website. Like StuffOnMyCat.com. Research shows that a moment of funny increases your body’s production of immune boosting growth hormones and feel-good endorphins.
- Next, here’s a one minute fix is for a skinned knee: Save a Band-Aid and dab some honey on it. A study in the International Journal of Clinical Practice shows that honey can speed healing, reduce pain, and reduce the risk of infection. That’s because it has natural disinfectants. Just apply a thin layer over small cuts and scrapes.
- How about a one minute fix when it’s 3p.m. and you’re yawning: Choose coffee over cola. Not only does coffee have fewer calories – it has more antioxidants. Also, according to a study from Finland, people who drink three cups a day are half as likely to develop Type 2 diabetes.
- A one minute fix for when you’re craving a cigarette! Drink milk! In a recent study of smokers conducted by Duke University, the participants reported that milk made cigarettes taste bad. So the thinking is – if you drink milk during your smoke break, your brain will eventually connect the bad milky taste in your mouth with a decreased desire to smoke!
- One final one minute fix – this time on your way home from work: Stop by the florist. New research from Harvard University shows that even people who say, “I’m not a morning person”, report feeling happier and more energetic after looking at flowers first thing in the morning. So grab a bunch and stick them on your nightstand or in the bathroom so you get that a.m. energy kick.